sketching on the subway

I used to ride the subway everyday, throughout high school, then college. That's 8 years of riding the subway every week day. All the time, I was going to art school. I could have been drawing on the subway everyday. I don't know if it's the combination of rush hour in the subway, or having too many other things going on, or just not being a good journaler back then, but I spent most of my subway rides either talking with friends, or sleeping. Never really drawing. Now I'm rarely on the subway. I spent most days driving the boys to and from school, and I spend time at home trying to make art, or trying to keep up with my house, so being on the subway, much less drawing on the subway is just not in the realm of possibility. But an opportunity for a meeting in the city prompted me to ride the subway, precisely so I could draw. After all, if you want to draw people, there isn't a better chance around, with the millions of riders in NYC everyday! Sure, it presents it's own challenges, being as you're moving and there's no real steady surface, and there are lots of people around you, looking or trying to look over your shoulder to see what you're doing. It takes some courage to draw the person in front of you without drawing too much attention to yourself. But in the end, it's an awesome drawing session, and it's great practice. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it makes you notice alot of stuff. So, that's what these 2 drawings are all about. I spent time making art on the train and that brings me alot of satisfaction!

No comments: