the man behind the music

A good friend had a birthday about a month ago. I told him that for his birthday, I would be giving him a "glaucia original." This is what I came up with
Kareem is the music leader at our church, among many other things. But more than that, he loves music, he inspires others to love music. He will give guitars to anyone who wants to learn, and he will teach them the basics. He loves to support all musicians and artist in general, and I feel like he's one of my biggest "fans" and supporters. He really is the man behind the music and that is what inspired this piece. Pictured are just some of the instruments he plays.
I hope that he'll enjoy this piece, and that I can be as generous and inspiring with my talents, as he is with his.
8"x 8" mixed media, on wood fiber board

3 comments:

edonline said...

Great Piece...as a musician, artist, worship leader, I can really appreciate all that's behind it.

On a tangent...just want to throw out something your way...thing about and as thoughts come to you from time to time, feel free to throw them my way.

Our leadership has come to a place where as a group we've really been challenged to evaluate how we do church and how God wants us to do church. We really want to be and I'm not sure what to call it, but "God worshipping, disciplemaking focused" And we wan to let that impact how we do everything, community with each other, community with our community, and even how we do Sunday morning...it's going to be a process of praying, thinking, listening, developing etc...what we're seeing even at the beginning stage of doing this...is that the results can be quite different than what we know as church right now...that and there's no models that we can think of to follow. It seems to us that everyone's doing church the same. Different flavours, but in the end (church time is...some songs, some prayer, some scripture and a speaker.) Other's throw in some video, and other components, but it seems to be all different versions of the basic same configuration. Our feelings, this configuration, whether more contemporary, or not, is just not producing the kind of Christ-following that Jesus seemed to call his people to. We don't have the answers, but we want to journey there, so, I'm asking anyone that can to contribute to our journey. So, if there's something about Church Community, that has really impacted/impacts/impacting you towards Christ in a significant way, I'd love to hear about it. No matter how out there it might seen. Maybe it's not even something that you've ever seen done, but have thought about...so as thoughts come accross your brain...let me know. This is not going to be an overnight thing for us so, it's not time sensitive, just putting it out there.

Again, beautiful piece though!!!!

Stacey said...

Glaucia,
I love this, and I know Kareem will love it too! It was great seeing you and talking with you last night!
Love, Stacey

the fourth samba said...

Sis, I added this to blog in the link. peace...