one painting in one hour

Since the beginning of the Everyday in May projects, and shortly after painting in church in under a hour, I thought that I should try to do some more paintings in a short time, just to see how I do.

So, after some thinking, and some listening to an old episode of the Creative Mom Podcast, I decided that a self-portrait should work well for the job.

I had pre-sketched myself the other day, but I wasn't very happy with the drawing, so I decided to just put the background color over it, and start from scratch.

Before doing anything, I had to "straighten up" my boys' book collection which was all over, in order to have a space to set up my easel. The studio space we're trying to put together still has a long way to go, and if I set up the easel in there, there will be no space to actually more around. So I opted to bring everything out to the living room, which then took more time, as mentioned above.
I then found a way to hang a small mirror from the easel, so I'd have some way of looking at myself while painting.
I then painted a the orange background over the back and after giving it a few minutes I set my timer for an hour, and started to paint. I "drew" directly with the brushes, and attempted to look at myself while I was painting.
The set up for the mirror got in the way, as far as painting the left side of the canvas, plus I did not get a look at my whole face at once, which I knew it would lead to distortion, but that didn't bother me.

Working quickly for an hour, checking my countdown a couple times, I managed to come up with the painting you see above. Those of you who know me personally might be a bit confused, as to say it doesn't look like me, . Those of you who don't know me, might say that it's a distorted face. I suppose all of you are right. As the artist, I don't think it matters.
I actually am really happy with the result. I wouldn't say it captured me perfectly, but it accomplished what I wanted to, with this painting. I did manage to make a face, with no prior drawing, show up in the canvas within an hour. I like the impressionist brushy style it's in. I like the colors, and I like the confidence it gives me for the next quick painting I will do. I learned some of what works best. I learned a bit more about dealing with acrylics, and I learned a bit more about how not to place the mirror next time.
Regardless of how I look, what do you think of the painting on its own? If you didn't know it was a self-portrait, or that it was done in an hour. What would your response be?


16x20 acrylic on stretched canvas

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I don't know what to think. One thing I do know is that I would NOT be able to accomplish that in an hour, an afternoon or even a month.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you explained to me that you don't think you look like that. You are beautiful. Though the painting is good given the constraints you had, it does not look like the beautiful Glaucia I know and love.